We've been seeing a lot of fake The Ordinary products circulating online here in the Philippines. It is very alarming that online stores, such as Shopee and Lazada are not able to track down counterfeit products. We have also seen a lof of reviews online on how to check if your product is authentic or not, from barcode scanners to font size differences.. which can be very confusing for someone who is just looking for a miracle bottle of niacinamide.
Well, here is our take on it:
- All of our products are bought directly from authorized sellers in US, UK and Canada. These are packed carefully by our staff and shipped from US to PH. We are one of the first few stores to bring The Ordinary to the Philippines and we've been operating since 2017 on Instagram and our website. You may request for a proof of purchase before claiming that a product is fake.
- Please do not rely on barcode scanners online and batch codes to check authenticity of your item. These are easily copied and used on the packaging of fake products. Also, barcodes are changed from time to time and barcodes are different depending on where the item is sourced (USA, Canada, UK, Korea etc). These online barcodes scanners are not updated with all the authentic barcodes from all authorized retailers around the world.
- Always check the price. If the price is too good to be true, then it might be fake.
- Trust the store, not the online reviews saying the smell, texture or packaging is different. Always check with the seller first if you have any doubts. Any products in the world can have slight differences in texture and smell because products are produced in batches. The item that you bought last year might smell and look different from the item that you bought last week. The main suppliers for ingredients can vary from time to time. Weather is also a factor. Packaging can also change depending on where the item is sourced to comply with rules. For example, you may notice slight differences in the color of The Ordinary AHA/BHA, this can be found on Deciem's website: "This formula contains a studied Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. This derivative is of plant origin and varies in colour seasonally and this colour variation may be apparent in the formula from time to time."
- A slightly off cap doesn't mean it is fake, it can be manufacturing error from Deciem's side due to them changing suppliers of their bottles. You may confirm this on their website announcements last 2020. They had to change suppliers which caused changes in packaging of some items.
- If a product didn't work for you, it doesn't mean that it is fake. Please reach out to us and we can help you with your skincare routine.
We hope you enjoy your skincare journey. If you have any concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.